Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Discussion of music product, sound, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

buckman
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 i:42 pm

Alive won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

I have latest Alive 10.1.9 and really busy with piece of work and projects at this current fourth dimension.

16GB iMac with SSD i5 so power has never been a problem.

Trying to load previous days projects and I just become the spinning bike and 'application non responding' on certain projects?????

REALLY FRUSTRATING??!!!

Whatever idea why? All plug ins seem fine, other projects with the same plug ins load fine?
Even my backups from certain projects won't load either???

PLEASE HELP equally I don't remember this happening with 9.seven.vii??

Very happy with Live x, but this is a deal breaker.. No idea why its only certain projects and non others??? as aught dissimilar?

Not actually sure the procedure on getting the non-loading project in the side bar to 'drag in' tracks?

Any help would exist great - is at that place a newer final release download that will cure this?
ii projects at present over a week, relieve fine, but next mean solar day won't load and there is nada i can see that is different about them??


[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 3520
Joined: Monday Jun 01, 2022 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 16, 2022 7:49 am

This could exist because of a plugin.
Use Live'due south Browser to go to your Project'south binder, and then to your .als. From there yous'll be able to access private tracks and drag them into a new set. Do it one by i and you lot should fine which track is the culprit and probably which plugin.

Ableton Forum Moderator


buckman
Posts: 526
Joined: Monday Aug 16, 2004 1:42 pm

Re: Live won't open previous projects from earlier INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by buckman » Fri April 17, 2022 7:06 am

Thanks for this and I volition endeavour to have a go at doing this selection..

You maybe right, and this maybe my older REFX Nexus i plug in, which on the project opens, plays and records fine..

However once saved (fine also) I am now thinking this is the plug in that doesn't allow the projection to open up at a afterwards date?

I have launched Ableton in SAFE mode with (alt on Mac) so it loads without any AU plug ins..?

This is fine, and I have my identical listing of VST plug ins showing only?
BUT the one missing in VST is REFX Nexus i?

Would this be the problem that the VST component is missing and corrupting projects even if I use the AU version of this plug-in?


[jur]
Site Admin
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2022 3:04 pm
Location: Ableton

Re: Alive won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by [jur] » Fri April 17, 2022 12:13 pm

What's your OS?

Ableton Forum Moderator


buckman
Posts: 526
Joined: Monday Aug xvi, 2004 ane:42 pm

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by buckman » Fri Apr 17, 2022 12:27 pm

High Sierra 10.13.half dozen

Running great - apart from this outcome...


saalicisis
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2022 6:17 pm

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by saalicisis » Tue October xiii, 2022 vi:19 pm

buckman wrote: ↑

Thu Apr xvi, 2022 7:20 am

I accept latest Live 10.i.ix and actually decorated with work and projects at this electric current time.

16GB iMac with SSD i5 so power has never been a problem.

Trying to load previous days projects and I just get the spinning wheel and 'application not responding' on certain projects?????

REALLY FRUSTRATING??!!!

Whatsoever idea why? All plug ins seem fine, other projects with the same plug ins load fine?
Fifty-fifty my backups from certain projects won't load either???

Delight Assistance every bit I don't call up this happening with 9.vii.seven??

Very happy with Alive 10, but this is a deal breaker.. No idea why its only certain projects and not others??? as zippo different?

Not actually certain the procedure on getting the non-loading project in the side bar to 'drag in' tracks?

Any aid would be great - is there a newer terminal release download that will cure this?
2 projects now over a week, salve fine, just next twenty-four hours won't load and at that place is nothing i can see that is dissimilar most them??

ever find a solution? I believe I am experiencing the same thing right now. Certain sets inside the project are performance right just other projects and their backups just cause my computer to hang and I take to shut Ableton. They were all working yesterday with no other arrangement changes. Extremely frustrating.


WildWillyBill
Posts: 18
Joined: Sabbatum Jun twenty, 2022 2:04 am

Re: Live won't open up previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by WildWillyBill » Dominicus January 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Same issue for me. Windows x. Running the latest everything. Some projects only stopped opening. Ableton hangs indefinitely and yous have to forcefulness quit it.


Groovial
Posts: 2
Joined: Midweek Feb 17, 2022 8:48 pm

Re: Alive won't open up previous projects from earlier INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Mail by Groovial » Wed February 17, 2022 8:50 pm

[jur] wrote: ↑

Thu Apr 16, 2022 7:49 am

This could be considering of a plugin.
Use Live'southward Browser to get to your Project's folder, and then to your .als. From there yous'll be able to access individual tracks and drag them into a new set. Practise it ane by one and you should fine which rails is the culprit and probably which plugin.

Information technology worked for me this solution, even so I didn't found the culprit, but anyway, I saved it in unlike names and removed i Track with a plugin that I suspected (Sirin VST from Moog Sirin which was not connected).

Thanks!


aklisiewicz
Posts: 625
Joined: Monday Mar xiv, 2005 3:33 am

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Postal service by aklisiewicz » Fri Feb 19, 2022 5:32 pm

I do accept those same problems ocassionally. The project works perfectly fine. I salvage it and reopen 2 months later and it crashes. No Fault message no nothing. Alive simply pops up the generic bulletin (I recollect derived from Windows) saying that information technology crashed. And then the project never opens again.
My workaround is to save several copies of the same project and sometimes I tin open it from saved COPY simply not e'er.

I think Ableton should develop some way of keeping track not just the files (clips) involved but as well instruments, plugins, etc. Another words to keep runway of every unmarried file (even if it is outside of Ableton) involved in the project. Generaly ALC and ALP should do it only most of the fourth dimension we are to busy to create ALP file at the end of some project development period.

I continue several versions of the same project so sometimes what saves my life is to get back to previous iteration, but obviously in such example I loose some contempo piece of work. I do external backups but this doesn't really help in this case. At present I started doing also full backups of Ableton and all external libs so we volition meet if this might help.

Generally it happens manner to oftentimes when older projects do non open. I experience this way to oft,...

:!:

"Yous are what you think you are"
Sadarahu


jestermgee
Posts: 4500
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 half-dozen:38 am

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by jestermgee » Fri February xix, 2022 10:28 pm

aklisiewicz wrote: ↑

Fri Feb 19, 2022 5:32 pm

I think Ableton should develop some way of keeping track non but the files (clips) involved but also instruments, plugins, etc. Some other words to keep rails of every single file (even if it is outside of Ableton) involved in the project. Generaly ALC and ALP should do it but near of the fourth dimension we are to busy to create ALP file at the end of some project development period.

That is already possible, even with a project that does not open you can select information technology in the Live browser so scan inside by opening the pointer and even browse for individual tracks within groups and basically access almost all the tracks you lot have without needing to open the project at all.

Image

aklisiewicz wrote: ↑

Fri Feb 19, 2022 5:32 pm

Generally it happens way to often when older projects exercise non open. I experience this way to oftentimes,...

So you have some bug on your end or some outdated/dodgy plugins probably. I think I have had an event with a non-loading project 1 fourth dimension in 12 years and that was an outdated Eventide reverb plugin which after Ableton told me the crusade of the upshot (when I sent them a crashlog request for support) I establish there was an update bachelor from eventide which fixed the event. Trick is to attempt and focus on making the best project you can using the least amount of plugins you tin manage.


djorno
Posts: twoscore
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 am

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by djorno » Mon Mar 01, 2022 5:57 am

aklisiewicz wrote: ↑

Fri Feb nineteen, 2022 five:32 pm

I exercise have those aforementioned bug ocassionally. The project works perfectly fine. I save it and reopen two months subsequently and it crashes. No Fault message no nil. Alive but pops up the generic message (I retrieve derived from Windows) saying that it crashed. Then the project never opens again.
My workaround is to save several copies of the same project and sometimes I can open it from saved Copy but not always.

Have been having issues like this for years. Information technology's incredibly frustrating to arrive far in a single session, have everything in your set up function properly and so on, and so you quit, and that'due south the concluding you'll ever meet of that session... Sometimes backups piece of work, sometimes they current of air upward corrupted along the mode and *poof* there goes your work...

The import track past track method loses all your send / return routing, scene names, etc... It's really not as smashing a workaround as information technology is made to be, and when you've gone through all the other troubleshooting steps and oasis't made any noticeable changes to your computer and things *nevertheless* hang / crash / don't work? Information technology's maddening.


Snedmusic
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2022 12:49 am

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post past Snedmusic » Tue May 04, 2022 x:18 am

Honestly information technology's so crazy this is still happening :cry: :cry: :cry:
The 'drag tracks via the browser' solution is NOT a solution.
So much of a complex set is absolutely lost via this method.

I personally use a set up with near 200+ individual MIDI mappings that control a live fingerdrumming improv set. Lots of mappings decision-making/arming instruments, dozens of mappings to banks of nested chain selectors and furnishings setups, complex sound routings etc etc. The process to rebuild this takes literal weeks, and equally of this week, I discover myself in this scenario yet again.

Ableton, there must be some method to excerpt the data in the set up in order to rebuild from a crash like this. The fact this happens and then regularly to so many people, for years at present, and there seems to be no efforts towards a solution or seemingly even an acknowledgement that this is a majorly fatal flaw is kinda heed boggling.


wildcon
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:22 am
Location: Due west London

Re: Alive won't open up previous projects from earlier INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Postal service by wildcon » Tue May 04, 2022 ii:01 pm

Hi There,

Accept to chip in on this one.

Still getting this on Live 11. A project that was opening fine, suddenly won't open and crashes Live completely. No changes at all. The last one I was working on merely an hour before this happened. This is incredibly frustrating, but having used Live from Version 2, I have to say this is not unusual! It was what made me move over to working in Logic (has never crashed in the all the time I have used it - prob about 8 years). That and the better recording for guitar takes.

I was excited to come up back to using live eleven with the new 'take' choice for recordings, and I love using Push, but that was speedily quenched by the crashes and the high CPU hits (again I don't get this on any other DAW).

I was going to post a full on rant, just so thought f*ck information technology (it shouldn't be only), it'south but the way information technology is!!

I've sent numerous crash logs to Ableton, so hopefully it will improve on later updates.

MacBook Pro, Mojave, Alive 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Sound Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.


Nate Holt
Posts: 15
Joined: Saturday Mar 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Re: Live won't open up previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by Nate Holt » Wed May 05, 2022 12:21 am

wildcon wrote: ↑

Tue May 04, 2022 two:01 pm

Hi There,

Have to chip in on this one.

Still getting this on Live 11. A project that was opening fine, suddenly won't open and crashes Alive completely. No changes at all. The concluding one I was working on just an hour before this happened. This is incredibly frustrating, but having used Live from Version 2, I have to say this is non unusual! Information technology was what made me move over to working in Logic (has never crashed in the all the fourth dimension I have used it - prob about 8 years). That and the better recording for guitar takes.

I was excited to come back to using live 11 with the new 'accept' option for recordings, and I love using Push button, merely that was quickly quenched past the crashes and the loftier CPU hits (over again I don't get this on whatsoever other DAW).

I was going to postal service a full on rant, but so thought f*ck it (it shouldn't exist but), it's merely the way it is!!

I've sent numerous crash logs to Ableton, so hopefully it will improve on later updates.

adding: "The fact this happens so regularly to so many people, for years now, and there seems to be no efforts towards a solution or seemingly even an acknowledgement that this is a majorly fatal flaw is kinda mind boggling."

Glad to come across a couple other comments where someone else feels this way. I did mail a full on rant lol, non my best moment only I've been a vocal abet since I started using it (not that I'one thousand everyone, just saying), and fifty-fifty with the occasional crashes and weird stuff it'south been so fun to use until the 11 update. I have Logic but oasis't felt the need to invest the time it would accept to learn the workflow but this might give me the motivation. I actually hope there'south a ready for some of these problems people have experienced / are experiencing.


millett
Posts: i
Joined: Monday May 24, 2022 4:27 pm

Re: Alive won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Mail by millett » Monday May 24, 2022 4:35 pm

I've been having this exact same problem. Fabricated a project yesterday and used i relatively cpu taxing max for live plugin and now I can't open the project or even the backups without getting a 'non responding' message and having to forcefulness quit. I am currently running live xi on a macbook pro 2022 model and mac OS 10.13.6 high sierra but I feel similar it shouldn't be this much of a problem. I moved from Logic to Ableton at the start of this year as I preferred Ableton's work flow and features but this whole crashing problem is actually not making me feel like I fabricated the right decision. I can't believe that my computer is sometime enough to be considered unable to handle the cpu load equally I've had way more cpu taxing projects open up for ages literally in the last week then I have no idea why this one I fabricated yesterday was such a problem. Its almost similar this is a random bug rather than a genuine event with processing power. Very annoying and upsetting having paid total whack for eleven suite also and and then encountering problems like this.